Bored with printing PLA only?
Having problems getting the first layer to stick?
Tired of prints falling off the build plate mid print?
Annoyed by warping?
Get more value from your Prusa i3 with this complete heatbed solution.
Expand your possibillities and start printing with ABS, HIPS, Nylon, Wood, PETG, PC, etc.
- 1 pcs RepRap ALU Heatbed MK3
- 1 pcs Thermistor 100K SMD
- 1 pcs Heatbed Thermal Insulator 200
- 1 pcs Power Supply
- 4 pcs M3x30mm screws
- 1 pcs cable for thermistor with female 2P plug
- 1 pcs wire for heatbed (140 cm)
- 1 pcs Braided sleeve, 50 cm
- 3 pcs Cable zip ties
- Cut the heatbed wire into two pieces of even length.
- Strip & solder heatbed wires to the heatbed, one wire to terminal 1, the other one to terminal 2 & 3(see picture below)
- Solder the Thermistor 100K SMD to heatbed pads ”NTC”
- Cut, strip and solder one end of the thermistor cable to the pads next to the “NTC” marking on the heatbed
- Glue the cork sheet onto the black side of the heatbed
- Exchange the acrylic base with the ALU heatbed while also replacing the screws with the M3x30mm
- Slide the braided sleeve onto the heatbed cables
- Zip tie the heatbed cables and braided sleeve onto the aluminum frame underneath the heatbed
- Making sure it can move freely, zip tie the other end of the braided sleeve onto the frame or a threaded rod
- Connect the thermistor female 2P plug to ”T1” pins
- Connect heatbed power wires to ”D8” terminals
- Remove the original power cable
- Connect the new power supply to the screw terminals (see picture)
- Secure the cable to the frame using a cable zip tie
- Remove the printed hotend shield (otherwise it will melt, you may print a new one with ABS)
- Cut out some cardboard and place it between the cable harness and the electronics to direct air away from print area
- Upload heatbed-enabled firmware using either the .hex file (with Cura) or the source code (using the Arduino IDE)
- Update Slic3r and/or Cura profiles to include heated bed controls
PDF file containing more illutrations:
Heatbed-enabled Marlin firmware for bq Prusa i3 Hephestos:
For newer versions of the firmware, please compile your own from bq's original source:
(enable heatbed support by setting the appropriate bed thermistor value in Configuration.h prior to compiling)
Slicing profiles for Cura and Slic3r: